I love meringues. I remember as I a little girl, I used to be fascinated at how the gooey translucent egg white could be transformed into a thick fluffy white cloud simply by beating them with an electric beater. I love the way they smell and I love the contrast between the sweet crumbly texture of the crust on the outside and the soft cotton floss-like texture on the inside.
In this recipe, the tangy lemon custard marries beautifully with the sweetness of the meringues and the crust adds that extra “Oomph” to make it a very satisfying dessert.
Inspired by various recipes from delicious magazine subscriptions & Jamie Oliver’s meringue recipe
Makes 4 pies
Ingredients: For the shortcrust pastry
- 200 grams plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 100 grams chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp of cold water, plus extra if needed
Ingredients: For the meringues
- 4 large egg whites
- 200 grams caster sugar
- a pinch of salt
Ingredients: For the lemon curd
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 100 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp gelatine
Method for meringues:
- Preheat oven to 130 degree celsius and line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
- Put egg whites in a large bowl and whisk on medium till firm peaks are formed.
- Gradually add the sugar and salt with the mixer still beating but on high speed for 7 minutes or so till the mixture looks glossy. (Test meringue mixture with your fingers – it should not feel grainy. Texture should be smooth. But be careful not to overbeat the mixture.)
- Spoon meringue mixture onto baking tray and size them to fit the top of little pastry tart pans. Use a spatula to shape the meringue to give it a wispy look.
- Place the tray in the oven for an hour till crisp on the outside.
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the butter.
- Use the rub in method i.e using your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add a little water to the mixture and stir with knife till mixture begins to come together into a ball.
- Lightly flour the workbench and knead briefly to form a smooth, firm dough.
- Wrap the ball of dough in glad-wrap and chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- After chilling, roll pastry out on a floured workbench to 5mm thick and drape over pastry tart pan, pressing the dough into the pan and trimming the edges.
- Prick the base with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
- By this time, the meringues would be ready to be removed form the oven. Remove meringues and increase oven temperature to 200 degree celsius.
- Line pastry with uncooked rice / pastry weights and blind bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove rice/weights and place pastry pans back into the oven to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Method for lemon curd:
- Now, we can prepare the lemon curd.
- Put the lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, eggs and sugar in a heat resistant bowl and place over the top of a pot of boiling water.
- Stir for 5 mins, then add the gelatine to the mixture.
- Stir for about 10mins till mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow the custard to cool.